On Thursday, February 21st 2013, ITE Cal Poly Pomona held the 8th General Meeting of the year. The guest speaker was Mr. Bill Doran, P.E., Director of Engineering and Construction at Metrolink.
Mr. Doran discussed Metrolink’s conversion of more than 300 miles of rail and 40 locomotives to Positive Train Control (PTC) technologies such as the Electronic Train Management System (ETMS). A thorough overview of the ETMS system can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm7xHgpPEOc. Mr. Doran also discussed other advances in rail engineering such as Machine Vision technology, a utility that allows Metrolink to more efficiently perform rail tie inspections through rapid imaging processes.
ITE also raffled off $1 tickets in a fundraising effort. Prizes included: a new ITE T-Shirt, a “goodie” bag, and a $25 gift card to K-1 Go-Kart Racing.
Among the General Announcements:
- ITE T-shirts are in ($10 for members, $15 for non-members)
- GIS/Transportation class is planned for Spring
- Educational Outreach at local High Schools will resume in Spring
- Traffic Bowl at CSU Fullerton: 11:30 a.m., Saturday, February 23rd 2013
- Fehr & Peers firm tour: 1:30 p.m., Monday February 25th 2013
- Chi Epsilon & ITE Resume Workshop: 6 p.m., Monday, February 25th 2013
- Chi Epsilon Job Fair in Building 17 Atrium: Wednesday, 11 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., February 27th 2013
- Caltrans Transportation Management Center (TMC): 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. on Friday, March 8th 2013
Next ITE General Meeting: