On Thursday, April 4th, 2013, ITE Cal Poly Pomona held the 10th general meeting of the year (1st of the spring academic quarter). The guest speaker was Mr. Gheorghe Rosca Jr., P.E., MBA, Cal Poly Pomona Alumnus and Rail Section Manager and Associate at HDR. You can read his full bio here.
Mr. Rosca discussed how public favor is returning to alternative mobility solutions in rail to represent the “Transportation Vision of the Future”. In his presentation, Mr. Rosca discussed a wide range of rail improvement projects planned at the local and regional level. On a project by project basis, Mr. Rosca demonstrated how improvements to rail infrastructure serve as a catalyst for development in the residential, commercial, and industrial markets. In closing thoughts, Mr. Rosca encouraged students to take advantage of the unique engineering opportunities at Cal Poly Pomona where the future rail industry may draw upon.
Among the General Announcements:
- ITE’s CE499 Transportation Studies groups were featured in a Cal Poly Post article. Over the course of the winter quarter, multiple student-led transportation improvement projects were planned to address on-campus transportation issues. As Mike Biagi, Director of Parking and Transportation Services said, “You guys just did several hundred thousand dollars’ worth of engineering studies for us, for free. Thank you.” Read the full article here
- ITE Officer Elections for 2013-2014 are coming up soon. If interested in running for an officer position, email Ruben.
- Educational Outreach is planned for this quarter. ITE will engage local high schools in Los Angeles to teach students Civil Engineering and general success strategies in education.
- T-shirts are still available. Pick up yours (if you haven’t already) or purchase some limited edition prints.
- Games Night with ITE, Tau Beta Pi, and Triangle Fraternity planned at the BSC 9 p.m. on 4/4/2013 – should be a nice way to enjoy some fun with your engineering classmates!
Next ITE General Meeting: