Monica M. Suter, PE, TE, PTOE for the City of Santa Ana, CA is currently an International Director with ITE. She previously served as Western District President (2008-2009) and promoted the profession with her “Getting to ‘Yes’ With the Public & Elected Officials” presentation. She manages an engineering team for the City of Santa Ana with 26 years of private and public sector experience. Ms. Suter joined ITE as a Michigan State University student. Since then she’s presented/published several International/District ITE papers, and served as a co-instructor for ITS Tech Transfer/UC Berkeley’s MUTCD Course. Ms. Suter is a Signals Technical Committee Member of the National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices and was an ITE Associate Member in 2011. She is currently an APWA Associate Member.
ITE Cal Poly Pomona held its 5th General Meeting on Thursday, January 9, 2014. The guest speakers for the meeting were three recent graduates from Cal Poly Pomona: Daniel David, Jr., Jesse Morton, and Said Yahya. You can learn more about each speaker at: https://itecpp.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/winter-quarter-kick-off-meeting/.
Each speaker talked about their experience in Transportation Engineering during and after their undergraduate studies. Daniel, who is an Civil Associate for RBF Consulting, lectured about his time as an intern for Riverside County Transportation and RBF, as well as some of the current projects he is working on, such as an interchange improvement of I-10/Jefferson in Indio, CA. Jesse, a Cost Engineer at Parsons, presented on improving the SR-91 corridor, in which he is responsible for budgeting, charting and tracking, invoicing, and reporting. Said, an Associate Engineer at Parsons, informed the audience about his contribution to the 71/91 Interchange Project. Each speaker concluded by giving advice to students, encouraging them to never stop learning, listen and learn from others, and be patient.
Among the General Announcements:
- T-shirt designs have been voted, and will be delivered to members at the next meeting.
- ITE and ASCE will hold a joint Technical Tour to the Metro Gold Line – M&O Facility on January 17th. Registration is sold out.
- Cal Poly San Luis Obispo will be having an ITE Student Conference on February 15-17. Registration is $40 until January 15. Contact Mark Shisler for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cal Poly Pomona will be holding this year’s UCTC Conference. More information coming soon.
- SoCal ITE Meeting – Wednesday, January 15
- RSBITE Vendor Show – Thursday, January 16
See you at our next meeting on Thursday, January 23!
Mr. Daniel David, Jr. is a Civil Associate at RBF Consulting at their Ontario, CA office. He recently graduated from California State Polytechnic University, Pomona with a degree in Civil Engineering-General Option in June of 2013. Though a recent graduate, Daniel entered the engineering industry this past summer with 4 years of combined intern experience at the County of Riverside’s Transportation Department and at RBF Consulting. He currently works in the Transportation-Public works department at RBF Consulting, where he takes on an involved role in highway and managed lanes projects. This week, Daniel will be discussing what to expect in transportation industry as an intern and new graduate.
My name is Jesse Morton and I am a recent graduate of Cal Poly Pomona. I graduated with my BS in Civil Engineering General Option in June 2013. I was born and raised in Diamond Bar and have been local to Cal Poly my entire life.
Currently I am working at Parsons Corporation as a Cost Engineer on the SR-91 Corridor Improvement Project. I have been in this position Continue reading
ITE Cal Poly Pomona held its 2nd General Meeting on Thursday, October 17. The guest speaker for the meeting was Vikas Sharma, P.E., an experienced engineer/project manager with a specialization in traffic engineering who has worked with Kimley-Horn and Associates and is currently teaching at Cal State Fullerton. You can read more about Mr. Sharma at https://itecpp.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/ites-second-meeting-w-guest-speaker-vikas-sharma/.
- Membership is $20 before October 31! You can find the membership form at: https://itecpp.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/ite-membership-form-2013-1.pdf and bring your form at the next General Meeting.
- RBF Tech Tour – Friday, November 15 (Limited to 15 spots)
- LAX Tech Tour (with UCLA ITE) – Friday, October 25 (Deadline to register: October 17 – Contact Mark: email@example.com)
- We’re looking for help for the ITECPP 40th Year Anniversary! (logo design, etc.) Contact Jackie Tabares at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Buffalo Wild Wings Blazing Challenge on Wednesday. Thank you for coming and supporting ITE!
- October 24th – Engineering Club Fair at Building 17 Atrium during U-Hour
- October 24th – OCTEC Meeting
- October 26th – Traffic Workshop (8am-3:30pm in Buena Park)
- November 5th-7th – High Speed Rail Conference in Downtown LA
- November 15th – ASCE/ITE Civil Day
The Cal Poly Pomona Student Chapter of Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITECPP) was honored to attend the Science Fair EXPO on October 5. The Science Fair EXPO was co-hosted by San Bernardino County
Superintendent of Schools and Riverside County Office of Education to support the K-12 Science/STEM Education program. Elementary, middle school, and high school students from surrounding counties with an interest in math and science were in attendance to learn about the many different fields in math and science.The Science Fair EXPO consisted of consultations, presentation, exhibitor booths, and workshops. These were hosted by teachers, professors, high school and college students.
ITECPP participated in the Science Fair EXPO by displaying an exhibit and presenting on the discipline of civil engineering. The exhibitor booth included activities on structural and transportation engineering.Students were provided sheets of 8.5” x 11” copy paper and asked to roll them into columns to be able to support loads of textbooks. Continue reading